The new year is quickly approaching and there is no doubt that people will soon be flooding the internet with their resolutions for 2017. Most will resolve to be a healthier, trimmer version of themselves. Others will resolve to travel and some will resolve to save.
Now, you may be thinking, “I already save enough money.” Well, there are more ways you can save this year than you think. Here are a few ways to save more money in the new year:
- Take advantage of rewards – You would be surprised to find out all of the rewards programs that you aren’t currently taking advantage of.
- Cut television – Many people have begun to turn to services like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu for their television needs. Get an Amazon Fire Stick or Roku TV plugin and you can get Netflix and other services on your TV for minimal cost.
- Start selling stuff – We all have things lying around the house that we don’t use but still hold value. Start getting rid of some of these things and selling them. You can take the extra cash and stash it in savings.
- Write lists (and stick to them) – This is specifically talking about shopping. When you go shopping, write a list and stick to it. Not buying those unnecessary items can save you a ton of money.
- Stay in – Stay in instead of going out. Renting a movie and cooking dinner is a lot cheaper than dinner and a movie out.
- Repair instead of replace – Research how to mend and repairs items that you already have but may be worn. This can save you a ton of money instead of simply buying new items all the time.
- Drink water – Drinking water can save you money. If you purchase a Brita filter for your faucet you won’t have to spend cash on bottled water. Also, if you stick to drinking water it can help you save on eating out too (water’s usually free).
- Make bulk food items (leftovers) – Eating leftovers is another great way to save money. Make a little more and skip on buying more food. Simply freeze and reheat your leftovers.
- Cancel unused memberships – Seriously. If you didn’t use your gym membership in 2016 you won’t use it this year either. That goes for your other paid subscriptions too. Cancel unused gym memberships, magazine subscriptions and other paid subscriptions. Unless you use them daily you can do without.
- Go to more free events – It is likely that your city or town holds free events throughout the year. Scout out more free events this year and save money on your outings. You’ll be surprised to find out what free concerts and other free events are happening in your backyard.
Will you make any of these changes to save more money in the new year?
Photo: 401(K) 2012
Like Us? Sign Up!
Subscribe to get the latest budget buzz via email.