Springtime is a time of renewal. The weather is just starting to get warmer, the sun is out more and the dreaded winter is finally over. It is the perfect time for a vacation. But, what if you want to go on a spring break trip and don’t have the cash? Here are some of the cheapest spring break locations that I could find for the college student on a budget:
Cheapest Spring Break Locations (And Trips)
I got to thinking about some of the spring break trips I took. One spring break I stayed home to work with my internship office but the other three I was able to venture to Florida and go to Disney World, Universal and even Bush Gardens. However, not everyone was able to spend the kind of money I could on traveling. If you can’t travel abroad or book a huge vacation, here are a few of the cheapest spring break locations out there:
Inside the U.S.
- Atlantic City – If you like the Boardwalk and enjoying the casino scene, AC is for you! You can get your beach fix as well as your gambling fix if you take your spring break vacation here. You’ll also save quite a bit of money. Not many people are heading to Atlantic City for spring break so it’ll be a “down time” and therefore much cheaper than usual.
- Daytona – Daytona won’t be in a down time over spring break but it is still among the cheapest spring break locations. You’ll want to book this trip ahead of time (probably about eight months) to get a cheap, fair deal though. You can also check out Airbnb or locally-rented homes for your spring break vacay. If you live in Florida, it can make a great day trip as well!
- Myrtle Beach – Myrtle Beach is one of my favorite places in the world. I spent a few weeks out of every summer there as a kid and now, as an adult, I am able to fully enjoy the Boardwalk and nightlife there as well. If you’re on the East Coast I suggest heading to Myrtle for your low-cost spring break vacation.
- Las Vegas – Although Las Vegas can be expensive if you’re really into gambling, it can be a cheap-ish trip. Many smaller airlines have begun flying into Vegas, cutting the cost of plane tickets and many hotels offer cheap, bundled packages. If you’re on the West Coast and close enough you may even be able to drive to the city of lights for your cheap vacation.
Outside the U.S.
If you want to budget your spring break trip but still want to go out of the country, check out these low-cost spring break locations:
- Cancun – Cancun has become a relatively low-cost location to travel to. Many of the resorts offer discounts, especially for spring breakers.
- Costa Rica – Staying in Costa Rica is fairly inexpensive as well. I stayed there for four weeks and only spent about $3,600 (flight and boarding included). That brings your week to under $1,000 if you book your plane ahead of time.
- Jamaica – Like Cancun, Jamaica has become a commonplace location for many U.S. citizens to travel to. Many resorts don’t cost that much to stay at and you may even be able to find a great bundled deal on Groupon.
Do you have any other cheap spring break locations to add to the list? Let us know!
Photo: The Odyssey Online
Like Us? Sign Up!
Subscribe to get the latest budget buzz via email.